Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My 30th Birthday Surprise!

For my 30th birthday, we took Linkan to Moab for our first camping trip together. Ben said that he had a surprise planned for me. I really had no clue what was up his sleeve. We woke up early on Saturday morning (left Linkan with Nate, H and Denise) and Ben made me close my eyes for the ride. When the car stopped, I opened my eyes and stared up at some biiiig rocks!

My big surprise was that we were going to climb Ancient Art, a 4 pitch 500 foot tower with a corkscrew summit. Wowzers! This was my very first view of the tower. In this picture, it is the corkscrew tower on the far right.


WTF!? was my first thought. Remember, I haven't done any REAL climbs since I was 2 or 3 months pregnant (and Link is 6 months old!!). So, of course, my first question was...what is this graded???? It's a 5-8 climb with two 5-10+ sections. I'm a 5-9 climber so let's just say that I might have cheated a teensey bit. ;) It was mainly sport with some trad. I took up the tail end and cleaned as I went.

Close up of the corkscrew summit.

The weather was perfect except for one thing...30-40 mph wind but the climb was still do-able.

"Slack", our climbing buddy.

Ben, on the second pitch climbing up the chimney.

One of the 5-10+ sections...

At the end of the second pitch, this was my view.

Don't look down!

Ben, on the last pitch.

Making a difficult and very exposed move to get to the summit.

Gargoyle on the summit. haha :)

Notice how hard the wind is blowing the rope?

There are people in this picture...see the little white dot?

I had just done a delicate walk across the "diving board". Yeah right! More like a delicate scootch!

I'm almost to the summit!

The wind was blowing 30-40 mph so when I got a little higher than I am in the previous picture, I said that I couldn't get to the very top. I was FRIGGIN scared!!...and holding on for dear life for fear that the wind would blow me off. Ben encouraged me and told me that I was almost there and that I could do it. So I mustered up my courage and went for it and boy was I happy that I did!

What I love about rock climbing is that you get yourself into situations and you think to yourself, "there is no fricking way that I can get myself out of this!". And then you try a different move or two or three and you figure out how to push yourself up higher. It is SO empowering once you make that hard move and beat the rock! Ben told me that that I am far stronger than I give myself credit for and I'm actually starting to believe him. What a great lesson and reminder it is for me as I embark upon my thirties. Thank you, my love, for this wonderful birthday surprise.

1 comment:

JNL said...

Wow! Talk about a birthday you'll never forget! Good for you for going the whole way. I love the pics!!! Just looking at the height made my stomach drop, I'm from the less adventurous side of the family-I envy you guys. Love you all and I look forward to meeting Linkan someday.