Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

TREATMENT #4 – Happy New Year from Pheriche, Nepal!

So we kick off the new year in grand style…nausea pills in hand, bottle of Sprite by my side, and beer…lots and lots of beer.  Yeah, right.  Well, maybe a few beers, you know I had to sneak those in.  And, speaking of New Year, did you all get visited by that guy that comes by your office as you’re leaving for the holidays and says with a huge stupid grin, “See you next year!”  How about just see you next Tuesday.  That works for me….don’t try and get too clever.  Also, it’s 2012, and we’re all still alive.  Guess those Mayans were just a little short-sighted.  Or, maybe just like the rest of us, the guy that was tasked with drawing up the calendar went on vacation on December 23rd and was off until January 3rd.  He simply forgot to pick up where he left off and it fell through the cracks.  I actually don’t think the end officially comes until later in 2012.  Should be a hoot.  Get your bomb shelters stocked.  Anyways, all in all, it was an incredibly relaxed and fun holiday season for us.  For those of you that know me best, using the phrase “relaxed and fun” doesn’t come natural to me.  I’m learning….slowly….to wind down and enjoy the more mellow things in life.  Watching Linkan open presents, eating holiday treats (lots and lots of them), sitting in bed watching football, running a few easy miles with my buddy Khop, testing out a stand up paddle board on the lake in December.  Alright, that last one wasn’t quite mellow, but I had to throw it in there for good measure.  If you haven’t ever tried out a stand up paddle board, run out and try one….today.  Don’t wait till’ it warms up cuz’ who knows, you could wind up getting cancer before summer time!  Besides, it’s not THAT cold.  You can come borrow mine!

I’ve decided to give you all a break today.  No significant rants on politics, sexual preference, religion, or faith…..keeping in mind that religion and faith have absolutely nothing to do with each other.  Sigh….that’s how it starts…..I digress.  As I write this paragraph I realize that I might be lying…it doesn’t take much to set me off.  Just keep reading and shut your freakin’ yapper. 

I’ve been feeling well enough after this last round.  We definitely knocked the dook out of cancer this round.  I was tired and felt nauseous, but I got to live life pretty normally.  I avoided shaving my head for yet another week.  And no, it’s not turning into an ugly comb-over, so save the jokes.  Mouth pain has been non-existent for this round.  That is super cool, but as I scan my mouth for sores I will say that I’m quite disappointed with how my teeth have stained since my last dentist appointment  I switched to a sonicare almost a year ago, I floss every day, but still I get stains.  This is crap.  I can drink 2 cups of coffee and have stains on my teeth, but I can painstakingly stain my back deck and it looks like I haven’t touched it after only one month in the weather.  They should come up with some sort of coffee additive to deck stain to deal with this.  Again, I digress.  I’d say the only lasting impacts have been numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes, and some serious aversions to anything that smells like a chemical or plastic.  The numbness doesn’t bother me all that much.  I’m more sensitive to it (at least they say) because I’ve frostbitten my fingers and toes before.   The gag reflex from the plastic and chemical smell is really a pain in the neck.  The very hand sanitizer that is keeping me healthy makes me want to throw up in my hat.  Seriously, what a quandary.  I stand before the automatic hand sanitizer dispenser with alleged deadly bacteria on my hands, and with the sandwich I ate 30 minutes earlier climbing the water spout.  To sanitize, or not to sanitize, that is the question.  Forget Shakespeare, that S.O.B. was too busy writing Sonnets that make the majority of men look like philistines to be of much value to me right now.  I did, however, have the privilege of being stuck in slow traffic behind a large diesel pick-up for 30 minutes the other day.  Add the smell of diesel exhaust to the list of horrible things that make me want to hurl.  And, while I’m at it (yes, this will be a bunny trail) what the crap is up with those guys that lift their big diesel pick-ups as if they’re going to enter them in a monster truck competition?  Totally ridiculous.  I realize that having some extra ground clearance can be nice when you’re drunk and running over parked cars and pedestrians, but let’s get real.  You can’t hitch a trailer to the truck without a drop hitch, you can’t go through the McDonald’s drive thru because your truck is so tall (and I know you love McRibs), you can’t even get into that thing without a step ladder.  Okay, maybe it looks tough, but if I’m not intimidated by your horribly offensive and surprisingly anatomically correct “truck nuts” along with your “Fear Me” sticker in the back window, the lift kit won’t push me over the edge.  I just realized that I’m breaking my rules from last week by ranting on this.  Shame on me.  If you didn’t read last week’s blog, essentially I made an oath to treat people better.  I messed that up already, I suppose.  If you want to lift your truck, go ahead.  Just be aware that it makes it hard for you to see your blind spot, so be careful when you merge because there might be some guy in a mini cooper down there somewhere jamming out to the Jonas Brothers.

As previously stated, instead of a blog filled with deep moral insight, this week I’ll entertain you (at least I hope) with a story, that as of late, is always on my mind.  Kacy and I took a trip to Everest Base Camp a few years ago with our great friend Gary Scott.  A side note, Gary is more than just a good friend.  I consider him to be a mentor on many different levels.  I would willingly put my life in his hands (and actually have a few times) and more importantly I’d trust him with the lives of my family.  I say this to at least put this story into context, and for you to remember that I was on this trip with a great guide and we had an awesome time.  This story is just part of our awesome Nepal experience.  Also, if you have the means go on a trip with Gary, you’ll have a blast.  At the very least, check out his stuff at http://www.rightpathadventures.com/.

Alright, so on with the story, welcome to Pheriche – Elevation 14,300’.  After 6 days of trekking steadily uphill from a mountain airstrip in Lukla at 9000’ (go to YouTube and search for “Lukla Air Strip Landing”, you won’t be disappointed) we arrive in the village of Pheriche in the Khumbu region of Nepal.  Pheriche is a great little village that is a major stopping point for many Everest expeditions.  It’s got a little airstrip there for helicopter traffic and the infamous Himalayan Rescue Association.  Enough of the trivia, if you want to know more…google it.  Anyways, upon arriving a few of us decided to take a quick hike up a nearby peak.  Now, keep in mind that for our group (Jesse, Patrick, Gary, and I) we’re not only fit, but we’re acclimated well from hiking slowly over the last few days and an easy hike for us includes about 2000’ of elevation gain in less than 2 hours.  In the range of 14,000 – 16,000 feet, that’s not bad.  However, insert the male ego, and the fact that I left about 45 minutes after the other guys, I took it as my personal challenge to catch up…which I did eventually as they were taking a break, but not without a significant cost (more on that later).  I felt really well on the down climb, and after an hour or so of hanging out in our lodge (more description on what a “lodge” really is in a moment) we had dinner.  A fantastic dinner of “Momo’s” to be more specific.  Up until this point, I had a significant love affair with Nepali food, especially Momo’s.  This is where the story heads South.  For those of you with weak stomachs, skip the rest of this story.  We had opted to stay in a lodge this particular night, which turned out to be a very, very good thing.  Lodges in the Khumbu vary in their accommodations, but for the most part, at this altitude, they are thinly insulated buildings (think wood with Styrofoam stapled to the inside) that are furnished with a 3-inch foam pad on a wooden bed, and a chair if you’re lucky.  Remember, anything that makes it up to this elevation is probably carried in by people or yaks, as helicopter drops are extremely expensive.  Next, the lodge’s community bathroom is a short 10 steps down the hall and consists of a floor-mounted bed pan of sorts and a barrel of water to wash down your….uh, you know, business.  To make the experience even better, you don’t drop toilet paper down the hole, you put it in a bucket next to the “toilet”.  Trust me, after 2 days you’ve seen more of other people’s crap than your own.  A little tip, don’t look down the hole.  Curiosity will eventually get the better of you, and you’ll look….everybody looks.  Good luck getting that image out of your head.  All this said, keep in mind that water doesn’t flow freely at 14’000’.  People haul it to the village either by bucket or by chunk (yes, it’s frozen up there).  So, you don’t mop floors and laundry service is expensive and time consuming.  You’re in the Khumbu, get over it!  Don’t get me wrong, lodges can be a luxury at 14,000’, and boy am I glad we had such a luxury.  I woke up at 3am with a headache and extreme nausea.  My first thought was to hydrate, which you have to do religiously at this elevation…especially after a tough hike.  I take a drink, and that’s the catalyst.  It was as if my stomach was just daring me to take a sip, like an ambush.  Well, as soon as that drink hit my stomach it’s all over.  Of course, there’s no trash can, no bucket.  All I could find was a gallon-sized zip lock bag in my pack.  Well, it’s better than nothing.  After an hour or so, the zip-lock was full.  To empty it, I stumble down the hallway to the bathroom in my sleeping pants and down booties.  Oh yeah, did I mention that it was cold?  Like, really cold.  Cold enough to freeze vomit in a zip lock bag within an hour kind of cold.  That’s right, a great little pudding pop that turned out to be.  So, I empty out my zip lock and go to “flush” it down.  Only one problem, the barrel of water is frozen solid.  No wash down for me.  Felt pretty bad for the next guy.  He had to look at a frozen chunk of vomit while taking a pee.  Well, back to our room for a little rest.  After laying down for another 30 mins, the party continues.  The interesting thing was that I had run out of anything in my stomach to offer up to the Zip Lock baggie.  So, with nothing else to offer, I started to vomit blood.  Yep, I said it….blood.  This whole time Kacy had been putting up with my vomiting and whimpering, but she got a little alarmed when I leaned over and told her that I was vomiting blood.  But, like any hardened adventure traveler she took it in stride and coaxed me back to sleep.  I don’t remember much else after this.  I was exhausted, dehydrated, really cold, and totally eradicated of any bodily contents.  I do remember a couple more frozen trips to the bathroom, but I’ve been trying my best to repress those particular memories.  I woke up around 6 or 7am to a frozen bag of bloody vomit (I told you to stop reading) and Kacy standing over me with a cup of tea.  I literally spent the next 2 days in bed bundled up in sleeping bags making hourly visits to the frozen bathroom.  After those two days, I brushed my teeth, shaved my face with a bowl of hot water, and got on with our trek.  I still don’t know whether it was exhaustion, a stomach bug, or some combination of the two.  Also, a cool little event as we were leaving, a guy had to be airlifted out for a burst appendix.  Even something as simple as that can be your ticket home.  As is life in the Khumbu.  Now, this may sound like an uncomfortable, scary, and somewhat painful story, but think of the lessons it helped teach me.  More importantly think about how those lessons are coming in handy right now as I sit here with a headache, an upset stomach, hair falling out, treatment port in my chest, and poison coursing through my veins.  At least I get to do it in a warm house, with warm water, and real flushing toilets.  Shoot, I even have Cable and Netflix in this beeotch.  I love this story, and as I read through it, it’s probably not near as exciting or interesting as I think it is.  But, these last few weeks I haven’t been able to get it out of my head….for obvious reasons.  But, I’m so thankful for the experience that it gave me.  I challenge you all to go out there and make yourself uncomfortable.  Get out of your comfort zones because sooner or later, you’ll find that life forces you out into the great wide open (I hate Tom Petty) to fend for yourself.  Trust me, you’ll be better equipped if you teach yourself to relish in the suffering.  We’ve all got our crosses to bear in that regard.  You may not have cancer, but I’m sure there’s something that you’re suffering through right now that’s likely even worse.  My advice; don’t do it alone, and if you can smile through the tough stuff, the good days are even more precious.

After typing that story, I realize that I could probably share a bunch of funny stories with you.  How bout’ you decide what the next story will be about.  Your choices: 
      -Our car getting broken into and us being rendered helpless after a 4 day backpacking trip in Hillbilly, Arkansas (this has got to be the most interesting story)
      -Kacy, Boss, and I driving from roughly sea level to the mountains of Colorado in the middle of winter to climb Mount Evans (a 14,000 foot mountain in Colorado), during which I got frostbite and a storm rolls in on us.
      -A recent winter climbing trip to Humboldt Peak that taught me yet again several more important life lessons.

You guys make the call.  Thanks for reading, and go make your weekend count for something!


(PS-Kacy does the pictures and captions)
Pheriche Hangover 
(complete with the back of Pemba's head - notice the beer in his hand...jerk)

Back on top!
 Chemo Treament #4
January 4, 2012
Ben trying not to gag while Lana turns to me and says, "He's so dramatic" haha

6 comments:

Linkan's and Palmer's Grammi said...

Well here is my deep moral insight. You know me......
As you said "relish in the suffering", definitely reminded me of James when he said, "Count it all joy my friends when you encounter vaious trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance and let endurance have its perfect result that you may be perfect and complete lacking in nothing." Wow....love those words....it says it all.......thank you JESUS

Dixie Cordill said...

I challenge u to tell us all 3 stories! Not only will it give u something to do and memories to be fond of, but it will give us some great stories to read and probably a few laughs. Talk about killing 4 birds with one stone...or would 3 stories technically count as 3 stones? In that case ur return isn't as great as it seems :-)

Deana McCoy said...

Hi Ben and my little Kacy! I enjoyed reading your blog (even with the bloody vomit). You have great perspective and I am always a little taken aback by just how you lay it all out there! At the beginning of every new year, I struggle with my resolution to be a better person and it IS a struggle. I usually fail miserably about 30 minutes after midnight on January 1!

Thanks for always giving me something to think about! I will continue to pray for you and I look forward to the next chapter in your blog!! Love you guys!

Dozer said...

Hey Benjamin Button! I can't help but call you that for some reason! Thanks for the updates. I just od'ed on your posts and read 2, 3 & 4 all at once. I'm exhausted :) But, really, the updates on how you are feeling physically is great (since I no longer see you everyday) and I enjoy reading what's going through that brain of yours!

Nate and Heather said...

Stories are therapy for all. Tell em all and tell em good!

If stories come to you, care for them. An learn to give them away where they are needed. Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive. —Barry Lopez

Kristen said...

Praying for you guys! Love the posts. Keep them coming, and thanks for letting us share your journey.