Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why I'm Thankful for Hodgkin Lymphoma

Well...so, no...not really...I'm not thankful for cancer. I hate cancer. But, on this day, the day before thanksgiving and the first day of Ben's first chemotherapy treatment, I'm thankful for this:
  • That Ben has Hodgkin lymphoma (rather than non-Hodgkin) which is the second most curable cancer for men;
  • That its NOT in his bone marrow (Thank you, Jesus!);
  • That we live in Kansas, close to both of our families (God's timing is perfect);
  • That he works for an incredibly supportive company, boss and executive vp;
  • That we have moved into a neighborhood that immediately embraced us and called us friends;
  • That we were able to complete our family with two sweet little babies before chemo drugs had any opportunity to mess that up (I'll say it again...God's timing is perfect);
But most of all, I'm thankful for my tank-of-a-husband. He is tough as nails and is in his prime to kick some cancer-arse. He is the strongest person that I know...spiritually, physically and mentally...and I would have told you that even before I knew he had cancer.  He has always been a great source of inspiration to me in many facets of my own life.  I've always been CRAZY about him and I love how he is taking on this challenge...with humor and tranquility.  If he can climb a 20,000 ft Himalayan mountain in sub-zero temps, finish an ironman first in his division, and take care of two little girls under the age of 2, he can beat cancer.

You better believe that he's going to fight like hell.


The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of 
comfort and convenience, but at times of challenge and controversy.
-Martin Luther King Jr.
(One of Ben's favorite quotes, hanging in our house.)

First chemo treatment
November 23, 2011







A "get well" sign that all the kids in the neighborhood made for Ben and hung on our door tonight.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

You always have such a positive attitude - such an inspiration to me.

I will, of course, say a prayer for both of you and your little ones each night before bed!

Jenny LaFave said...

This post was very inspirational to me. We will be keeping you all in our prayers.